call on : 01273 565656

Building and Planning

What is the gas safe register?
The Gas Safe Register is the register of approved gas engineers administered by Capita on behalf of the government. Capita took over the scheme from CORGI in 2010.

Any work on gas installations must be carried out by approved engineers, who will issue a certificate to show that the work complies with building regulations and is to the required standard.

When selling, your buyer (and their lender) will want to see that any work which has been carried out - for example the installation of a new boiler - has been carried out by a competent person by checking the gas safe certificate. If you are selling and you have lost your certificate, you can contact either CORGI or Capita, depending on the year in which the work was carried out.

If you aren't sure whether the work was carried out in 2009 or 2010, when the schemes cross over, the Gas Safe Register department at Capita should be able to tell you.

Regardless of whether you have a copy of the original installation certificate, a buyer may insist on seeing a more recent inspection or servicing report.

Other frequently asked questions
What is the difference between planning and building regulation consent?
  Building Regulation Approval is required whenever new structures are built or existing ones are altered.
Does the work I am doing need planning consent?
  Not all work requires planning consent. You do not usually need it for internal changes to buildings, or
I have hired a company to do some building work. They say that they do not need to contact the Local Authority to check the work. Is this right?
  Several industry self-assessment schemes have been set up and these are designed to reduce pressure on
Does the work I am doing need building regulation consent?
  To determine whether the work you are doing requires building regulation consent you must first
Does my conservatory need building regulation consent?
  The very first thing to establish is whether what you are building actually is a conservatory.  Th
What is FENSA?
  Fenestration Self-Assessment scheme – industry self-certification scheme for glass and windows
What is CORGI?
  CORGI has been replaced as the adminstrator for the gas safety register by Capita - (see Wh
What is a competent person?
  A person or company registered as a competant person with a relevent professional body. This means that
I have paid my friend to do some work to my house, but he is not a member of an industry scheme. Is this a problem?
  There is no legal requirement to employ a competent person. To cut costs you may employ someone who is
What is a Listed Building?
  Some buildings are listed because they are considered to be of special architectural or historical inte
What is Listed Building Consent?
  Listed building consent is required to carry out work to a Listed Building which will affect its special
What is a Conservation Area?
  Conservation areas are defined in the Civic Amenities Act 1967 as “areas of special architectural or
What is a Tree Preservation Order (TPO)?
  Order made to protect a tree. It makes it an offence to cut down, top, lop, uproot, wilfully damage or
My neighbour is building an extension and I want to stop him. What can I do about it?
  Can only really object if the extension requires planning consent – if the extension is cont
I have received a planning notice. What do I do now?
  Find out what the application is for and who made it – should be basic information available on the
I want to build an extension on to my property. Can I do this?
  It depends – main issue is planning consent: first determine if the work you are doing does
The local authority has contacted me threatening enforcement action over my extension. What do I do?
  Should immediately stop any work. You will need to consider whether the council’s threat is valid
I am installing a bathroom. Do I need planning or building regulation consent?
  Generally installing a bathroom suite would not require either Planning or Building Regulation Consent.
Do I need planning permission for installing new windows?
   I am installing some new windows. Do I need planning or building regulation consent